BIM: A Unique way to Plan, Design, Construct and Operate a Building
After the massive success of computer-aided design technology, AEC professionals discovered an altogether new approach towards construction called BIM, or Building Information Modeling. Its adoption by architects and engineers led to a never before seen kind of revolution in the landscapes of the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction industries. This new kid on the block has now become the talk of the town as it provides reasonable solutions to all the construction-related problems.
Soon after BIM’s acceptance by design and construction professionals, they started experiencing unbelievable productivity in all the phases of construction, including planning, design, construction or post-post building operations. BIM is all about developing a building in virtual world, with the utilisation of advanced software products like Revit Architecture, Revit Structure, Revit MEP and Allplan etc.
BIM can be used for accomplishing the following things
- Building Information Modeling software Revit is not only used for developing digital models for architecture, structure, and MEP but it can also be used for generating material takeoffs and bills of materials.
- Bill of materials and material takeoffs are very essential for building professionals when it comes to calculating project costs.
- Apart from that Building Information Modeling tools can also be used for calculating the total cost of the project, which is normally carried out with the help of 4D BIM.
- BIM remains accountable for bringing the concept of green construction into the landscapes of Architecture, Engineering, and Construction Industries.
- That means with the application or implementation of Building an Information Modeling, architects and engineers can swiftly develop green buildings.
- Green buildings can be developed by performing energy analysis for architecture, structure, and MEP systems.
- All the Revit disciplines are effectively equipped with energy analysis tools, which allow BIM modelers to develop energy analytical models for each building discipline.
- These models can be used by design and construction professionals for developing energy simulations, which allow them to understand the energy requirements of the building.
- If required, depending on the results of energy analysis, BIM modelers can implement slight changes in building design, to reduce its energy consumption.
- BIM is also a very important communication tool, as parametric models developed during pre-construction can be swiftly communicated to all the parties involved in the project.
If Building Information Modeling tools are systematically used by building professionals they can make revolutionary differences during project execution.