It’s absolutely correct that Architecture, Engineering and Construction industry is growing with an unbelievable speed, which provides a stunning contribution to the overall economic development of the country. A country can never get good infrastructure, without the growth of construction industry, which is accountable for developing towns, cities and suburbs. Higher efficiency throughout project lifecycle is important for all the project stakeholders and this efficiency can only be obtained with the implementation of high-end technology. Yes, it’s right that technology alone is not important until and unless it is used at the right time for a right purpose.
In this case design and construction professionals are going in the right direction, as they have started to use the technology in a very organised way. For example, when it comes to the execution of renovation and retrofit projects, building professionals including the general contractors fully rely on scan to BIM. It is really a very efficient approach towards renovation of buildings and other sort of structures.
Take a brief look at Scan to BIM
- Scan to BIM process starts with the onsite survey of the building or the structure which needs
- The survey is either conducted by architects and engineers or by a certified surveyor.
- After that, the survey professionals get ready for implementing laser scanners, for thoroughly scanning the building, for which they have to install the laser scanners at the right place.
- Once the 360 degree laser scanners are effectively installed at the location, powerful laser beams are then directed towards the building.
- These laser beams can reach everywhere on the surface of the building, and get back to the hardware with comprehensive geometrical information.
- The building information received through laser scanners is eventually used by BIM modelers, who create 3D as-built Building Information Models with it in software such as Revit, Allplan and ArchiCAD etc.
- These models give a comprehensive picture of the as-built building, which makes it quite simple for building professionals to renovate it.
- In addition to 3D as-built models, building professionals can also create 4D, 5D and 6D models.
- 4D, 5D and 6D can provide comprehensive information regarding design, construction, operations, materials, schedules and quantity takeoffs etc. In addition to that bill of materials can also be generated by building professionals with this information.
With the support of such comprehensive information, renovation of a building becomes quite a simple task.