How to minimize change orders that occur due to design discrepancies in BIM models?
Change orders are nothing but the reworks in the design that construction professionals have to perform if they come across design discrepancies within BIM models. In simplest terms, for improved project productivity or outcomes elimination of rework is indispensable. Clashes between model elements are the prime reasons for rework and for eliminating this it is important for design and construction professionals to make use of well coordinated and precise set of CAD documents during design development in Revit. That means when 3D models are created in Revit, BIM modelers should use authentic sources of information for developing them.
Utilization of chaotic or incorrect information quickly leads to the formation of clashes.
Tips, techniques and methods for minimizing change orders
- The most important step in this area is to implement precise information during the development of 3D models for architecture, structure and MEP.
- Modelers must check and cross check the information that is available to them which is accessed from different sources for its authenticity.
- Incorrect information is the fundamental reason for the development of clashes or design errors in BIM models which ultimately leads to change orders.
- Documents used as inputs for executing Revit modeling services must be reviewed for inconsistencies by the modelers with the assistance of other building stakeholders.
- During interdisciplinary coordination, changes made to the design must be coordinated or communicated to modelers working on the design of different disciplines so that they can work with the same thoughts for avoiding mistakes.
- For the sake of getting true design information about other disciplines, BIM modelers can link models. For example modelers working on structural model can link MEP model for gaining comprehensive information about structural design and can use that information for avoiding mistakes in their model.
- Apart from taking necessary precautions during design development in terms of optimizing accurate information clash detection services should also be executed.
- All the possible design errors are effectively identified by Navisworks which is the most crucial software for conducting clash tests.
- Identified clashes can be effectually resolved by modelers by enacting or applying requisite changes in the models.
With the implementation of software like Revit and Navisworks in construction, negative project outcomes such as change orders can be effectively predicted and managed by AEC professionals.